Friday, July 24, 2009

3rd Time's a Charm?

I really didn’t think I was going to write about this subject. It wasn’t a secret, all of our friends and family heard the story weeks ago, but perhaps it wasn’t blog appropriate I thought. However, in light of the most recent chapter in this story, all bets are off.

Hopefully by now you can understand the sweet, sweet marriage my live in and I share. It’s one of humor, patience on his end, constant BFF status, and totally throwing each other under every bus we can find.

Well over a month ago the live in lost his wedding ring. Of course we were sad, we turned the loft upside down searching for it, and after quite a bit of time had passed and no sign of the ring we decided to move on. Or so I thought…

We found a ring we both loved. The ring needed to be ordered in the correct size so the live in went down to the jeweler {alone} to determine what that was. It never crossed my mind that he would need a guardian for this task. Fast forward a week later, the ring has been delivered, and the first thing out of my mouth is, “it seems really, really loose.” He assures me it’s not. This banter continues back and forward for the better part of a 3 hour drive to visit my family. Once there, every.single.person. tells him the ring is too loose. We pull and tug on the ring, easily getting it to come off. He finally concedes.

I return the first ring and order its replacement. He refuses anything but a half size down. Again, I didn’t think he needed a guardian for this decision. Fast forward another week, and the smaller version has now arrived. Again, it looks really loose to my sister and I. Again, he assures us it is not. I leave it.

Sidebar: Another rad characteristic of our marriage is that we {mainly he} tend to share information that may cause rage in front of other people.

The next day we are in the bank, sitting at a desk being helped with some business. The bank also happens to be the live in’s place of work, and although we are taking care of personal business, we are being helped by several of his employees. About half way through the meeting he slides his ring off, gives it to me, gives me a look of sheer fear, and says, “this is a teeny bit too loose I think.” My response, “I am going to neck punch you right now.”

Today I went back to return the 2nd ring and I am pretty sure they assumed I had been left at the alter…again. They treated me as if I would start crying at any moment, until I explained the situation…again. His 3rd ring should arrive next week.

I truly hope this is the end of the story, for everyone’s sake.

1 comment:

  1. Ten dollars this one goes back too. Troy, you don't have a chance!

    ReplyDelete