Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Timing is Everything

What makes our relationship work? Good communication. It’s key for us.

For example…yesterday I was coming home from work and walked into our building lobby through the parking garage. At the same time I see my live in enter the lobby elevator after coming home from his workout. I sprinted toward him screaming his name like a crazy person, expecting to see him hold the elevator for his lady friend. I was wrong. I made it just in time to see the elevator door close. I caught the next elevator up and saw the live in walking about 30 feet in front of me down the hall to our loft. Again, I sprinted toward him screaming his name like a crazy person, expecting to see him hold the front door for his lady friend. Again, I was wrong. The door slammed in my face.

We finally reunited inside the loft. We had a good laugh, talked about the rudeness of wearing headphones in the building, and broke some news to the live in. I saw my moment and had to take it. He was already 2 points behind for the elevator / door incident. My news would cost me 3, maybe 4 points, and we’d be even steven. Am I right, ladies?

I closed my eyes and confessed. “I almost took off my side view mirror while parking the car. I was distracted and it hit the fire hydrant.” (Hard.) I peaked through one eye to see his reaction. He was trying not to laugh. He asked how I was distracted while parking. I told him. But, I knew what would come next. A threat. A threat to take away our new GPS.

You see, I am in love with our new GPS device. I love it, I love it, I love it. However, it’s giving me sensory overload. Technically I don’t need a GPS device to find my parking space, but I do love looking at it and, well…bam…that’s where the fire hydrant meets the mirror so to speak. This is my second offense with the GPS in four short days. On Friday “she” told me to turn right. She told me again, and again, so I began to turn right. Except my light was red and there was a car right in the line of fire. I caught myself before it actually got ugly. But, she tricked me. She should have known. I don’t consider that one my fault.

The live in said my next car is a 1981 Honda Civic. Fine by me, as long as GPS comes with it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing. And don't worry about the mirror, it is just one more way that we are alike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mirrors are minor offenses, I believe we left one dangling in England when you were my acting GPS. Now, watch the road! love, mom

    ReplyDelete