Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gracefully Aging?

I have shown the live in a lot of love over the past few posts. But, I would never pass up an opportunity to, perhaps, show him in a different light. If fact, it’s generally what I live for.

The live in was “recruited” to join a group of guys in their weekly flag football game this Saturday. Actually, he was asked to join them the prior weekend too, but had to regretfully decline due to a scheduling conflict. I was quiet happy he couldn’t play, as I thought this might save us thousands of dollars in medical bills, and laundry detergent. However, when I found out he was on for this Saturday all I could do was remind him of my only rule. Rule #1: One more knee surgery (been through two already) and I am taking a vacation while he recovers at home. There’s not enough vicodin in the world to make that nursing job stress free.

At 7:30am he donned his Nike Pro, grabbed his favorite football and excitedly ran out the door. Ready to play his favorite game. At 10:30am he came back through the door. Silence. When he rounded the corner past the hall I was able to get my first glimpse of him. Literally dripping with mud head to toe, he heads straight for the freezer to get an ice pack. Still silent. I can tell by this point he is not only limping but is also holding his left hand (with his right hand, which is bloody). I didn’t say a word, I was busy thinking…London, Tuscany, oh Greece would be nice this time of year. He must have sensed I was already planning my solo trip because he then fessed up to his injuries. One jammed pointer finger, two bloody knuckles, and one very, very tired body. I mentally unpacked my bags and I asked all the normal questions, “did they respect the flag or did they tackle?”, “should we call little bil?”, and “how old were the other guys?”

Needless to say he hasn’t recovered in one day. The finger is still swollen, and body is still aching. But, he is still walking. Which means he will be back on the field next Saturday… and I will keep my passport handy.

p.s. I would ask Troy to read through this before I publish, just to make sure I got all of my facts straight…but he is therapeutically soaking in the hot tub at the gym!!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! You left out the bloody hand part, or maybe I missed it...yikes! How was Yoga today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Troy....go easy on him, it's tougher when you get a little older.

    ReplyDelete