Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Need for Needles!

I have been known to become a little addicted to certain things. Good cheese, the sale section at Anthropologie, my Franklin Covey, amongst other things. However, this time it is true love. And of course, just as I am writing about saving money I turn around and find something fabulous to spend it on.

This seems more valuable than cable though (what wouldn’t be, right!?). I am talking about acupuncture. Today was my first appointment. What started out as a discussion about what acupuncture can be beneficial for turned into Erica discovering what acupuncture can be beneficial for. So, I made an appointment with my gal Tiffany.

Before I continue…I did hesitate to even post about this topic because I don’t want to come across too Facebook: Part 2. Meaning, the blog isn’t meant to be a play by play of the happenings. And healthcare, in any capacity, is a personal issue that I don’t want to make light of. But, I am clearly not modest and my experience was so rad that I can’t wait to share.

After filing out the pre-appointment questionnaire, I realized…um yeah, I do have one or two little issues. Have you seen my purple feet? Have you felt my stone cold hands? And then there is the always pleasant foot cramps (and yes little bil (almost Dr. little bil) – this is a viable medical issue, so tell your stupid ER I am taking my business elsewhere). Also, upper back / neck tension…afternoon fatigue…and I think that’s pretty much it. Oh, and did I mention I normally faint at the sight of needles or doctor type paraphernalia?

I saw my other gal Meghan prior to the appointment and she asked if I was nervous. Tiffany also asked me if I was nervous. Well not until now ladies! What should I be nervous about? Is this going to hurt? Will I faint? Will I be paralyzed? Is she going to do some weird Southern Voodoo on me?! Not to worry, Tiffany was clued into my frequent fainting tendencies and put me face down on the table. And the entire needle into body process took minutes and it honestly didn’t hurt at all. Honestly. In fact, I had quiet a bit of fun chatting away with her. After she is done throwing darts into my body she whips out some headphones for me, turns the lights down, and tells me to take a nap. I AM IN LOVE! Ten minutes later she comes back in, does something to the darts, and tells me to keep napping. Oh, and p.s. she has placed a heat lamp near my feet! Is this a freakin dream? Another ten minutes pass and she comes back in. I was so relaxed I was drooling all over the place. She takes out the darts, worked out some tension in my neck and calf (for the cramping, little bil) and sent me on my merry way.

After stumbling back to my office I realized just how good I felt, and six hours later I am still feeling amazing. The haters will say it’s all mental, and maybe it is, but I can honestly say my neck and back feel great, and my feet feel improvement already. I am truly addicted.

5 comments:

  1. I think Tiff calls that Aculand! No wonder its addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a future ER physician, I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that you are going somewhere other than the ER for your ongoing, chronic concerns (ie - your grossly blue feet, frigid hands, foot cramps, heat rashes, neck tightness, weird moles, afternoon fatigue, occasional moodiness [Troy was worried about that one], or your self-cleaning ears... if I forgot anything, take it up with your accupuncturist(a) and/or MD), as NONE of the above issues are a medical EMERGENCIES, thereby not requiring the services of an EMERGENCY room or emergency room doctor.

    If you cut (not scrape) yourself, break a bone (we'll even count your nose, despite it being cartilage), or begin to have crushing chest pain your friendly local ER will be there for you, but until then, it's in everyone's best interest if you stick to your decision to avoid the ER.

    -lil bil OUT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make sure you draw the line when she takes out the burning stick thing and puts it on your hair. The sound (and smell) of burning hair will drive you away from the needles for good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hopeful, warm hands and flesh colored feet!

    ReplyDelete