Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Portland's Best Fries

I heart French fries! I have often said this is my one luxury item I would take with me to a deserted island. Not a blackberry, not a great book, not even the world wide web would I take over fries! It’s all a girl really needs. So I thought I would share how my quest for Portland’s Best Fries is going…

So far there are only two places that are blog worthy:
1. Oba’s currently takes my #1 spot. It’s important to note though that I am referring to their Jamaican Jerk Fries, not their regular ones. Insider tip: you won’t find this version on the menu either, simply ask your server. The seasoning steals the show for me – spicy, tangy, and sweet all hanging out together, and if that’s not enough the fries are served with an aioli that will win anybody over. Since they aren’t on the menu I really have no idea what’s in the aioli that makes it so good, but I am just fine with that.

2. Portland City Grill is a surprise for me at #2. It wasn’t until recently that I had even tried their fries, and who knew such a classy place could produce such great “bar food”. You’ll find the Togarashi Spiced Fire-Fries on their happy hour menu, and as the name suggests they are on the spicy side. These fries are also served with a garlic-parmesan aioli. And at $2.00 during happy hour who could ask for a better deal!

The quest continues, and I truly hope Portland can deliver on this one. I would love for a dive bar or restaurant to come out the winner in the end. It just feels more natural.

Do you have a suggestion on where I should go next? Post a comment or email me!

3 comments:

  1. Fenouil and Carafe for that french experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the fries on the non-spicy side? Have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fenouil for sure... the pommes frites have your favorite thing: whole cloves of crispy garlic and of course an aoli... yum!

    ReplyDelete